Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken will quickly become one of your weekly recipes when you realize how easy it is to make at home.
Enjoy a great take out style dish that you can make at home. You’ve love the flavors of this Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken.
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
Just last week, I took a great virtual cooking class hosted by TheFeedFeed where we made this awesome pasta. The instructor was Chef Marc Murphy. He shared stories and techniques that he learned from growing up in Itay.
His class was fun and fast paced because we were having a great time learning how to make this wonderful pasta sauce. I couldn’t wait to dig right in.
Did you watching Hamilton on Friday? I did and I have watched it a few more times since too! I can’t pick my favorite part because it’s all so amazing!
We did a driveway drive-thru at my house with some neighbors. It was a fun, safe way to get together to watch it as a group. I think that we are going to do more of these
Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
This Honey Sesame Chicken recipe is a great fake out take out dish. My whole family loves it, and I bet your family will love that too.
The dish tastes just like the one you get out from take out, but costs a fraction of the price. . It has that signature sweet sauce from the honey, with a bit of a kick from the red pepper flakes.
Plus, it is much healthier than the dish you enjoy from your favorite Chinese restaurant. It’s not fried, as it’s made in the slow cooker, so you are eliminating a lot of fat and calories that way. Yummy and healthy!
The most involved prep for this dish it to make the sauce. And, that just takes a few minutes! Quickly chop the onion and then just add in the rest of the ingredients and give it a good mix!
Add the chicken to the slow cooker and cover with the sauce.
Cook the chicken on High for 2 hours. This will result in a chicken that is tender and easy to cut into bite sized pieces. If you want it to have a shredded texture then cook it for 3 hours.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, making the rice and the broccoli. You can steam or saute the broccoli- both ways are delicious.
While the rice and broccoli cook, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Cut it into bite sized pieces, and set aside. In the slow cooker, add in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Let that simmer for 10 minutes before adding the chicken back in to coat.
This dish is a great dish to make when you are craving take out but don’t want to have a dish that is loaded up with salt or is fried. Plus, this recipe is so great because it’s easy to prepare in your slow cooker.
Hope you enjoy this for dinner really soon!
What are the ingredients?
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Sesame Seeds
How long does this cook for?
This cooked on high in the slow cooker for 2 hours. If you need it to take a bit more time, you can cook on slow for 4 hours.
Can this recipe be doubled?
Yes, it is really easy to double this recipe. I also suggest doing it if you like this recipe and want plenty of leftovers.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.25 lbs)
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, pressed or grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- Cooked Rice
- 1 lb broccoli florets, Steamed/Sauteed
- Put the chicken breasts in crock pot.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leaving the sauce.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with the water and cornstarch. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce in the crock pot. Add the sesame seeds. Cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened, without the lid.
- Cut the chicken into bite- size pieces. Return the chicken to the sauce to coat.
- Serve with rice and steamed/sauteed broccoli.
Adapted from Spiffy Cookie
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 6gSugar: 42gProtein: 44g