For my Secret Recipe Club post this month I had Melissa’s blog. She shares great sounding and looking recipes on her blog called Fried Ice and Donut Holes. While her blog is not a vegetarian blog she does have a great number of veggie friendly posts that look mouth watering. I have several recipes bookmarked for some healthy comfort food eating this fall and winter.
When it came time to pick a make a recipe I had a very hard time because I had a whole list of great things like, Barbecue Chicken Pizza, Baked Pumpkin Donuts, and Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pie. In the end I picked the Spiced Black Bean, Grilled Avocado, and Goat Cheese Tacos. I simply picked these tacos to make because I was having a crappy, super busy week. I had these bookmarked since I loved how they could be a great recipe to use when I didn’t feel like cooking. Well, that is exactly what happened. I had just about everything at home so I just ran out for an avocado and some wine (since I really needed that as well) and was quickly on my way to dinner once I got back home.
I made a few changes to the original recipe but I think you have to do what works best for you and you taste preferences/ingredients on hand/sanity. For example, I could not find coriander seeds at our grocery store so omitted them and decided to amp up the other flavors I did have. I switche using olive oil out for corn oil as corn has a more subtle flavor as a higher smoking point, which I figured would be best for the grilled avocados. I added some cilantro since I love it and always have it around (for us and the rabbits). I mashed my black beans as I like that texture and I figured that it would more easily stay in the taco to eat (while balancing a glass of wine on my lap and watching Parenthood). I really enjoyed these and since I typically have the ingredients around on hand I know I can always have a great dinner at the ready with some easy adaption.
Spiced Black Bean, Grilled Avocado, and Goat Cheese Tacos
makes 4 tacos
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, preferably low sodium
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 avocado
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- juice and zest from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz from a goat cheese log
- fresh cilantro
- 4 Flour Tortillas or 8 Corn Tortillas
- Rinse the black beans, reserve 1/2 cup of the liquids.
- In a small skillet, warm the corn oil over medium heat. Add the cumin and pepper flakes. Once the spices have ‘toasted’ and are fragrant, add the black beans and liquids. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat to reduce the liquids. Prior to preparing the tacos, mash up the black beans with a potato masher.
- Cut the avocado in half, gently score to create slices, and brush with some oil. Put on a grill or grill pan on high heat just to char the outside of the avocado.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice and zest of 1 lime, the honey, and salt and pepper.
- To assemble the tacos, place 1/4 each of the beans, avocado, and goat cheese into 1 flour tortilla or 2 layered corn tortillas. To finish add fresh chopped cilantro and a drizzle the lime-honey mixture over the filling and serve
Check out my previous Secret Recipe Club Posts:
August: Birthday Cake Oreo Truffles
June: Cheesy Garlic Knots
May: Berry Brownie Torte
April: Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
February: Fried Pickles
Jan: No SRC postings
December: Shrimp Sriracha Stir Fry
November: Vegetable Enchiladas
October: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Check out the rest of the reveal day posts!
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.