Slow Cooker Breakfast Egg Casserole is a wonderful recipe to make for a family gathering or to enjoy for brunch. Yum!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I love starting the day with a great, hearty meal, especially on the weekends. I make this yummy Slow cooker Breakfast Egg Casserole often because it’s so easy to make and its so delicious!
Post Contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure HERE
Hope you had a great Labor Day weekend!
We kicked off the weekend by watching Mulan in the driveway with friends, just like how we did Hamilton with it projected on the garage.
On Sunday my husband took the kids to the beach so I could get some work done (including writing this post!).
And then we celebrated my mom’s birthday with her. So much fun!
Slow Cooker Breakfast Egg Casserole
I love making casseroles! But I typically make dinner type ones, but breakfast ones are just as awesome. And when I use my slow cooker- its even ebtter.
Using a slow cooker to make this breakfast egg casserole is a great way to keep your oven clear, which always seems to be so important during the holiday. Make this Slow Cooker Breakfast Egg Casserole so you can still enjoy some biscuits or cinnamon rolls or make a big tray of bacon. Gotta keep those hungry bellies full!
I typically make this casserole with crumbled breakfast sausage but you can use bacon or ham. Chorizo is a great option as well.
You can even skip meat entirely and use used a wide variety of veggies. Yum!
Take a dozen eggs and crack them into large bowl and mix with the milk and the spices.
That is then poured on top of the filling that has been layered.
Cooking time will vary depend on if you use fresh or frozen hash browns (Personally, I prefer using frozen hash browns!) As well, will depend on your slow cooker. Just like an oven, I have noticed every slow cooker slightly different.
I’ve had some casseroles get a little crunchy along the liner, but that’s my favorite part! Like, when you make a lasagna and you get a slice with some of the crispy edges. Delish!
The size and ease makes it for a great breakfast or brunch to serve to a crowd, like at the holiday’s or while on a family vacation. Awesome!
What are the ingredients?
- Whole milk
- Dry mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Shredded potatoes (frozen or fresh)
- Cooked and chopped bacon, ham, or crumbled breakfast sausage
- Diced onions
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How do I prepare this in advance?
I think this recipe is great for the holidays or when you are hosting friends or family.
Assemble it at night, it cooks while you are sleeping, and then is ready for the morning. You can cook the sausage/bacon/ham in advance so you don’t need to be cooking that late at night. Then it just takes about 10 minutes to assemble by layering the frozen shredded potatoes, cooked chopped onion, Rotel, and cheese. Pour the egg on and then set it before going to bed. Easy peasy!
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound 10 ounce- 2 pounds of shredded potatoes (frozen or fresh)
- 1 pound of cooked and chopped bacon, ham, or breakfast sausage
- 1 cup diced onions
- 10 ounce can of Rotel, drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper per layer of potatoes
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, dry mustard, and paprika. Set aside for later use.
- Thoroughly grease the inside of a slow cooker vessel. (For real, spray spray spray that slow cooker liner up!)Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top, then 1/3 of the meat, onions, rotel, and cheese. Repeat layers until you have used up all of the ingredients.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the layers.
- Set slow cooker to the lowest setting. For fresh hash browns, cook for 5-6 hours. For frozen hash browns, cook for 7-8 hours. Casserole is finished when eggs are just set. Turn off and the residual heat from the slow cooker will keep it warm.
Adapted from The Burnt Apple
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 588Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 317mgSodium: 1817mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
Thanks for visiting. Please leave me a comment to provide some feedback. I appreciate all the comments I receive.