There has been so much going on lately. I love being busy but it typically means that something slips. Most often it is what we eat or laundry. oh well. But Kemper is keeping us busy with nice nights out playing around and some design reports that Price and I are working on for our city for some downtown redevelopment. Very different things but both enjoyable and fulfilling.
Since we have been so busy I have been relying on some super simple meals or take out to keep our nights moving along. One of the cookbooks that I have been turning to is The Ultimate Casseroles Book: More than 400 Heartwarming Dishes from Dips to Desserts. I love the idea of assembling a casserole leaving it be to bake and then having leftovers for another meal. Among the over 400 recipes (oh my!) the Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole jumped out to me one night so I whipped it up and we loved it so much. So, so much.
This took about 30 minutes for assemble and then another 35 to bake up. I cooked up some chicken breasts but you can easily shredded some rotisserie chicken instead. The dish is so flavorful and so cheesy. I can’t not love a cheesy dish. It’s really hearty so it can be stretched from 4 servings to 6 with a side of veggies or a side salad.
I only made one change to the original Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole recipe from The Ultimate Casseroles Book: More than 400 Heartwarming Dishes from Dips to Desserts. The original recipe called for Cream of Chicken Soup but 1) I didn’t have it 2) it sounds really gross, which would be why I didn’t have it. So instead I used Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup since it didn’t have ‘mechanically separated chicken’ or ‘chicken fat’ in it. If you happen to make your own Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup instead of using canned, then I suggest you do that. It’s sure to only make this wonderful casserole even better.
Dig in. You know you want to.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Makes 4 hearty servings
- 1 6-ounce package long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 10.5-ounce or 10.75-ounce can of cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- While preparing the rice according to the package, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onion and celery until tender.
- Sir in the soup, light sour cream, wine, and basil until evenly combined. Add the shredded chicken and rice and mix until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until heated through.