Do you know what you should not do? You shouldn’t forget about the hot chocolate you are making on the stove and then be utterly surprised when it overflows burning on your new glass top stove. yep, that’s happened… twice…
Well, you should totally make hot chocolate (and pay attention to it) and to do so you should mix up this hot chocolate mix. It’s great to enjoy snuggled up under a cozy blanket while watching a movie or RHofsomewhere. It also makes for a fantastic gift. It is quick to mix up, packages easily, and is so yummy.
I made this basic hot chocolate mix to get things started. Not basic in being ‘meh’, but basic in that it is a great base for you to create specialty flavored hot chocolate. I love starting with one recipe and making some modifications to create something fun and different.
- Swap out the semi- sweet chocolate chips for some peppermint chips for a peppermint hot chocolate.
- You can use peanut butter chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Awesome.
- Or you can use caramel chips and triple the salt for a salted caramel cocoa.
But wait, there’s more! Amanda has flipped hot chocolate on it’s head with a Frozen Hot Chocolate. I’ve always wanted to try Frozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity 3 in NYC but have never made it there so this is the perfect chance to make it at home myself! If you can’t get to the frozen hot chocolate, bring the frozen hot chocolate to you!
Hot Chocolate Mix
Fills 8 1/2 pint mason jars
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10.5 oz package of mini marshmallow
- 8 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips, mini is preferred
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a very large mixing bowl. Divide the mix up in bags or air-tight containers.
- To make hot chocolate- in an medium sized sauce pan, combine 8 oz of milk with 3 tablespoons mix. Heat gently to warm and melt the chocolate chips. Stir occasionally so the milk and chocolate do not burn on the bottom. Top off with more marshmallows or whipped cream and sprinkles. Enjoy!
You must be logged in to post a comment.