Oh, here we go with me waffling things.
Sure, sure, waffling already is a verb but I’m changing it up and I’m adding a new definition to it.
It was only a matter of time before I took the waffle iron to make something other than waffles in there. I feel like Kathy of Panini Happy with her Panini centric blog. She uses just a Panini to make all these awesome recipes. Or like Allie from Inspralized who makes delicious healthy recipes using a spiralizer. Only Allie is famous and now has a cookbook in the works and I just fiddle away with my waffle iron.
Anyway, I slapped some French Toast in the waffle iron and, as expected, it was great.
Here is the biggest tip I have for you…
Don’t use thick bread!! I used a pretty thick slice at first- I’d say about a 1/2″- and it didn’t work at all! Well it did but I had to hold the waffle iron closed the whole time. The slice puffed right up and popped my waffle iron open and wouldn’t stay closed since the eggy coating expands as it cooks. Duh!
So I reworked it and used thinner slices and huzzah! We have a winner!
The Waffled French Toast is just like regular French Toast but cooler as it has all the awesome peaks and valleys that waffles have.
I used homemade sandwich bread but you can use store-bought bread, just make sure the slices aren’t too thick. 1/4″ Max! Or just expect that your waffle iron might pop open.
Other than that, soak you bread in that egg mixture and get that waffle iron ready!!
Waffled French Toast
Makes 8 slices
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 slices of thinly sliced bread (I used homemade sandwich bread)
- Combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Dip 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture until completely coated.
- Right before you put the slices on, spray the waffle iron with not stick cooking spray, or wipe with melted butter.
- Cook the french toast slices until your waffle iron timer goes off and they slices are golden brown. Repeat with all the slices.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, nuts, and fruit.